Transition Girl

Why transition girl?... Best answered by a quote from the Iliad....."The soul was not made to dwell in a thing; and when forced to it, there is no part of that soul but suffers violence."

Friday, November 26, 2010

synopsis

I committed to paper for the first time a synopsis of the trilogy as preparation for the drafted second novel going to an independent editor for assessment. While I have outlines for each of the three books that make up the trilogy, and have had in my head some very strong over arching themes linking the books, it was the first time I had put the pieces of the puzzle together on one page.

I have struggled in the past to write my story summaries. These one pagers have to sell the story to others who do not have an emotional connection to the story so the pressure to get the content right is higher. I used 'taglines' in my synopsis this time around to boil down the main plots in each of the novels (and the high level plot across all three) into a pithy picture. Lines to entice the intended audience to choose to read my story. (The sort of lines that might one day be used on the movie posters if the novels are ever made into a film.)

The pieces fitted together really well. It could be that I have a strong conceptual idea and that is why it presents well. Hopefully the editor will agree! It could also be that the idea works for me and me alone and it might not be marketable at all. Either way, I was very happy with how the synopsis appeared on the page.

And, as always, I was inspired to write some more as a result.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! More is good. :)

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home