Transition Girl

Why transition girl?... Best answered by a quote from the Iliad....."The soul was not made to dwell in a thing; and when forced to it, there is no part of that soul but suffers violence."

Friday, October 22, 2010

water

Another rainy Saturday. Another day of writing procrastination... Though I have managed to pen a poem inspired by Mad Men. The writing on that show is sublime - two lines of which I have borrowed to form the basis of this piece below, called Water.

when i am out of sorts
i look at the calendar
and there is usually
something significant
on the horizon
barely enough
to keep me moving

searching for ways
to regain some control
vacantly staring
at my surroundings
distant
even standing at the centre

it is an effort
to get in the water
but when i do
i am weightless
and i don't even sweat
and in the end
i am wrung out
only for a moment

pool water is better than
the rain in the shower
that does not wake me up
that only pokes
my numb skin

and i wish the water
would wash away
the dull ache
that nestles
below the surface

i count the water drops
like the shiny red pills
that float about
in the fog swirling around
inside my weather beaten head

need so many more of them
a cascading cold bloody water fall
to pierce the painted veil
permanently.

I have to admit that birthdays (one of which I celebrated yesterday) bring out some of my darkest moods and writing. There's something about special occasions that make me feel ordinary and the reason for that is a story best left for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home