Transition Girl

Why transition girl?... Best answered by a quote from the Iliad....."The soul was not made to dwell in a thing; and when forced to it, there is no part of that soul but suffers violence."

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

tangents

I almost went an entire second weekend without writing, far too easily distracted by tangents, and had that moment late on Sunday afternoon when I decided I could no longer procrastinate another hour away.

In the twilight of my weekend past, I managed to write a couple of pages for the short story collection - the introduction to the second short story. Reflections about my obsession with the Cold War as a teenager, possibly inspired by Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Too many tangents in the last two weeks. This is in spite having spent most of that time in my preferred anti-social "hermit" mode, which is usually very conducive to writing.

I have watched a lot of DVDs - mostly viewing things I had already seen before (like Dirt season 1 and Party Animals) but also sampling things I missed when they graced the local television screen a while back (like the Fixer).

And doing a mini-marathon of Gerard Butler films. Can't really decide if I like him as an actor or even as eye candy. He has a face (with that perfect frowning brow) and body for action flicks yet seems to have done more than his fair share of romantic comedies. Despite being panned by the critics, I was pleasantly surprised by the Ugly Truth. Watched the movie twice to try and figure out what it was about the man that made him appealing. Still haven't come to a conclusion on that one.

Though it is a good example of a tangent distracting me from my writing. The procrastination next week will be books, notwithstanding that one of those books I can pretend is research for the novel.

I often wonder how writers ever get anything written down. If I am a reasonable benchmark to go by, most writers are easily distracted (and I suspect carry the burden of some form of disorder associated with that like OCD or ADHD). Sources of creativity are more often than not derived from ideas churned out after the mind has travelled along those tangents. The worlds within our imaginations are also a source of entertainment. I know I can spend hours, sometimes days, thinking about seemingly trite things and somehow, from that mind wandering, ideas of substance emerge.

I wonder if it will ever be possible to take a video of the paths travelled inside my brain? That's a whole new tangent to explore!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home