Transition Girl

Why transition girl?... Best answered by a quote from the Iliad....."The soul was not made to dwell in a thing; and when forced to it, there is no part of that soul but suffers violence."

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

trials and trails

I wrote one very short though potent scene last weekend. This lack of product was not because of my usual procrastination efforts but because I had to spend several of my precious weekend hours working on the day job. And this continuing trial may well be the case this coming (long) weekend too where I can neither attend the writers' conference sessions currently in my diary or spend the time writing a few scenes of the third novel. No weekend for me.

As a trusted adviser in the day job, a request for my expertise is at the whim of the boss. The boss knows I am spending most of my July somewhere far away, while someone else housesits my inner city abode. I'll be on a recharging spiritual journey treking on trails in remote parts of the top end of Australia. Somewhere that is at the edge of the earth, as far away from people generally as possible. Knowing this deadline of my absence is looming, I was asked last Friday to write a major paper before I leave - it cannot wait until I return and the request comes sugar coated with much feedback on how much the boss values my advice.

It probably helps that I respect greatly my current intelligent and thoughtful boss. It is incredible how the right work environment, a little bit of Zen in prevailing attitude, and just the right amount of stroking, will inspire me to above and beyond efforts to deliver what is asked of me. I realise that I might start my month's leave in July already exhausted. But it is a hell of a lot better than the alternative, which would be cancelled leave, unfortunately a choice that has been made by previous bosses in my career. Deep breath, do not dwell on the past, look forward to the future.

It is a future that already includes an event planner for the launch of the second novel early in 2012 and a photographer who will be taking my publicity photos. Great friends with amazing talent who inspire me.

Come July, my biggest decision will be whether to pack the mini notebook to jot down creative ideas while miles away from anywhere or to go 'old school' and bring a pen and paper! Then just let my dreams take me where they might under the bright stars of a wilderness sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home