Transition Girl

Why transition girl?... Best answered by a quote from the Iliad....."The soul was not made to dwell in a thing; and when forced to it, there is no part of that soul but suffers violence."

Saturday, January 01, 2011

separation anxiety

I'm a little early with my blog this week (the ink is barely dry on the last one). It's just that I've been on a creative frenzy for two straight days. It's been fantastic. Clear head, intense dreams, and the words surrendering themselves to the page filled with sibylline expressiveness (which is great given the subject matter of the novel being drafted). A sanguine start to 2011.

It has inspired me to finish my weekend afternoon by penning a poem, which I've called Separation Anxiety. It is meant to be metaphorical - symbolising 'letting go' of baggage that holds us back. It is a raw first draft but I wanted to share.

Last night I took a walk
and separated from my shadow.
It stood alongside me for a while;
not really sure if it wanted to stay or go.
Such a thorny decision to make
when you have been stuck in sync
as one for so long.
Through the lows and lows together.
Basking in the glory of the muck and mire.

I knew the time had come to let go.
It was the long silences between us
that gave the game away.
The petty jealousy whenever I dared
to gaze into the darkness of another.
Only one abyss per person.
Those are the rules.

We paused momentarily
eye balled each other
in a Mexican standoff
only inches apart.
One of us had to make the break;
run like hell and never look back.
I was the first to blink.
Not stopping until I was out of breath.
Hiding; ignoring its bellowing catcalls.

I feel a little strange now.
A little lost.
A little liberated.
Lighter somehow.
Free.


I am feeling it now. I just know that 2011 is going to be a great year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ergo Alt said...

Wow. I love that poem TG. Kickass. Do you think taking a well deserved break from work somehow been a factor in your potent subconscious experiences?
Just the other day I was in a discussion about how, when artists/writers/ strive to control their ideas, that the conscious part of the brain appears to become more aware of the subconscious bit. As if it were two minds suddenly meeting directly for the first time...
For me, through my music, it has resulted in a higher awareness of my mortality. I'm confident that it's a good thing. :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Transition Girl said...

Thank you EA :) Breaks from work have certainly helped to clear my head. The longer the break the better. If I am travelling and away from home, I find that at about the three week point (the point where I lose track of what day of the week it is), the creative flow amps up to 11. It feels like the clutter inside my head has been swept away and there is space for my mind to run free and play. The line between dreaming, waking dream and 'real' surroundings melds in a way that seems more natural too. All very strange.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home